Apple, Pear, and Cherry Crisp with Fresh Ginger
Juicy fruit under a sweet whole-grain crust: what’s not to love? This fabulous crisp is a perfect vehicle for fall fruit. Vary the types of apples and pears to subtly change the flavor, or swap them altogether for a different fruit or fruits.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 medium apples
- 3 medium pears
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- ⅛ tsp. ground cardamom
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Take out 4 ramekins (4") and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples and pears, and slice each into 16 wedges. Place in a mixing bowl, add the cranberries, lemon juice, ginger, and sugar and toss well to coat. Turn mixture out into the ramekins and set aside.
- Place the oats, flour, sugar, vanilla, and spices into a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Cut the butter into the mixture using your hands and process until a wet crumb has formed. Sprinkle mixture over fruit.
- Place on middle rack in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.