Apple Sausage Balls
When I was young, my mom made sausage balls for my brother and me. We loved them. While they make a great breakfast (try serving them with fresh fruit and muffins), they’re also a wonderful appetizer.
Prep: 15 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, toasted
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup fresh apple, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- In a small dry skillet, toast nuts over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine apple, sausage, baking soda, cheese, flour, cinnamon, butter, and toasted nuts; stir well. Form into 1-inch balls and place on a rimmed, ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes before removing sausage balls from pan. Serve warm.