Apple Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This make-ahead casserole is great for lazy weekend mornings. It layers hearty whole grain bread with cinnamon apples and MorningStar Farms® Maple Flavored Sausage Patties.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 MorningStar Farms® Maple Flavored Veggie Sausage Patties
- 1 small cooking apple, cored and chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups firm-textured multigrain bread, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free milk
- Chop patties into bite-size pieces. Set aside. In a small bowl, toss together apple, 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Place half of the bread in 8”x8”x2” baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Top with half of the veggie patties, half of the apple mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sour cream. Whisk in 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla and salt. Add milk, whisk until combined. Pour over mixture in baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325°F about 70 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean (internal temperature reaches 170°F). Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.