Apple Slab Pie
This pie can feed a crowd! The sweet smell of apples and cinnamon will fill your home as it bakes, creating the perfect Thanksgiving aroma.
Serves: 18Prep: 50 minutesCook: 3 hoursTotal: 3 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup ice water
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornflake cereal, crushed
- 4 pounds apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- For the pie crust: Mix the 4 cups flour, salt and 1 teaspoon granulated sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and use a pastry blender to cut the bitter into the mixture. Mix until it resembles a coarse meal. Add 1 tablespoon of ice water in at a time and continue stirring. Add water in until the dough begins to form large clumps. Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into 1” thick discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- For the filling: Mix the cornflakes, apples, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup flour, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the chilled pie crust: on a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the dough into an 18”x13” rectangle. Place the dough into a 10”x15” casserole dish. Trim edges to be 1”.
- Spread the crushed cornflakes on top of the crust
- Spread the filling evenly on top of the cornflakes.
- Roll out the second half of the pie dough in the same way as the first half. Drape over the filling and fold the bottom crust’s overhang over the edges. Crimp down sides. Cut slits in the top of the crust. Brush with the egg wash (One tablespoon milk combined with egg).
- Bake the slab pie for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the glaze: whisk the powdered sugar, 1-2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla together and drizzle over warm crust.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.