Apple Streusel Bars
These apple bars are a perfect way to satisfy those sweet cravings. They’re also a great way to use up apples from a trip to the apple orchard.
Serves: 12Prep: 15 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄4 cups plus 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 cups apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Kroger® Lemon Juice
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare an 8”x8” baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl using a pastry blender, combine 1¼ cups flour, granulated sugar, salt and cubed butter. Blend until there are no large clumps remaining. Reserve ¾ cup of crust; set aside. Press the remaining crust into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the apples and lemon juice. Stir to coat, then add 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine, then pour over the warm crust into an even layer.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, oats, pecans and reserved crust mixture. Stir to combine and sprinkle over the apple filling. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is lightly golden brown and crisp.
- Allow bars to cool completely in the pan, then remove from pan and cut into desired size pieces.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.