Apple Toffee Crisp
Toffee bits add fabulous flavor and texture to the candy-like topping of this classic crisp recipe.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 7 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup English toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the apples in a large bowl with the lemon juice and apple juice; toss to coat apples. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg and toss.
- In large bowl, combine oatmeal, 2 cups flour, 2 cups brown sugar, and baking soda and mix well. Add melted butter and mix until crumbs form. Stir in toffee bits.
- Place half of the oatmeal mixture in a 13-by-9-inch pan. Top with apple mixture, then remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 50 minutes or until topping is browned and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Let cool for 1 hour, then serve.