Apple Walnut Cake
This is simple, versatile cake makes a great quick breakfast, special brunch treat, or after school snack. Or add a dollop of vanilla ice cream for dessert.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 medium apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 chopped cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Whisk in oil, eggs, and vanilla extract to form a dense batter. Stir in apples and nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the top of the cake is brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the cake before releasing it from the pan.