Applesauce Oat Bars
Thick, homemade applesauce works the best in this recipe. If you are using commercial applesauce and it is runny, just cook it for a few minutes to thicken it up.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¼ cups quick-cooking oats
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8" × 8" pan; set aside.
- Mix oats, flour, and brown sugar. Blend in butter with fingers until mixture is crumbly. Press half mixture in bottom of prepared pan.
- Mix applesauce, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. Spoon sauce over dough, leaving ½" border all around.
- Combine rest of crumb mixture with chopped walnuts; sprinkle over applesauce. Pat down gently.
- Bake 40 minutes. Cool completely.