Applesauce Pie bakes to a light custard, similar to bread pudding, and is delicious served warm topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- 2 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 5 large eggs, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a pie pan with one pie crust. In a large bowl, stir together applesauce, 4 eggs, 1 1⁄2 cup sugar, honey, flour, cinnamon, and vanilla. Spoon into crust.
- Place second crust on a floured surface. Using small cookie cutters or a sharp knife, make several decorative cutouts in the dough. Carefully move dough to the top of the filled pie. Fold edges over the bottom crust and crimp dough.
- Beat remaining egg and brush over top crust and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 1 hour, or until the center of the pie is set. Cool completely before serving.