Apricot Roasted Chicken
Celebrate with this tender, flavorful roasted chicken recipe that adds the sweetness of apricots, symbolizing the wish for a sweet new year.
Serves: 4Prep: 15 minutesCook: 1 hour 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tablespoon Kroger® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 pounds whole chicken, giblets removed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion, cut into large pieces
- 1⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- Heat oven to 425°F. Mix together olive oil, rosemary and garlic; set aside.
- Place chicken on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Season inside cavity with salt and pepper. Stuff with onion. Loosen skin on top of chicken gently with fingers. Spread oil mixture under skin; generously season the skin of the chicken.
- Tie the drumsticks together with kitchen twine. Roast 70-90 minutes or until the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165°F. Baste with apricot preserves during the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Remove from the oven, rest 15 minutes before carving. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Tip: If you don’t have a rack for your roasting pan form aluminum foil into a ring and place the chicken on top.