Arepas de Maíz y Queso con Pimientos Rojos (Corn, Cheese, and Red Pepper Arepas)
When it comes to comfort food, nothing beats these homemade Venezuelan arepas, fried and stuffed with corn, cheese and peppers.
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 P.A.N.® White Corn Meal
- 1 teaspoon oil, plus more for frying
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 large roasted red pepper, peeled, seeded, and cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese
- In large bowl, stir together water and salt until salt dissolves.
- Stir in corn meal, breaking up any lumps. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil into cornmeal; knead 2 to 3 minutes, or until a smooth dough forms.
- Separate dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball then flatten into ½“-thick discs.
- Warm non stick pan. Cook arepas 5 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- In small saucepan, combine corn, cumin and garlic. Heat on stove until hot. Add water if needed.
- To serve, slice each arepa in half; fill with corn, red pepper and cheese.