Artichokes with Grilled Garlic Bulbs
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 4 whole garlic bulbs
- 8 fresh baby artichokes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tsp. crushed dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Remove skin from outside of garlic bulbs. Slice off the paper tops to expose the top ends of the individual cloves. Pour the lemon juice into a large bowl of water.
- Cut the artichokes in half and peel off any loose leaves around the base. Cut off the top quarter of the artichokes and snip off the sharp tips of all the remaining leaves with scissors. Toss the artichokes into the bowl of water. Once they’ve all landed in the bowl, hold them down with a dinner plate so they stay submerged.
- Remove artichokes and shake dry. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and sprinkle lightly with oil, thyme, lemon peel, salt, and pepper. Wrap tightly.
- When fire is ready, place in a vegetable basket directly over the fire and cook 10 to 15 minutes, turning carefully four times so all sides receive some direct heat. Serve with remaining melted butter.