Arugula-Hazelnut Pesto with Fettuccine
In spring, when grassy-peppery arugula returns to the market, this pesto is a delicious change. The more mature the arugula, the stronger the flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 lb. fettuccine
- 1 bunch arugula
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes until the hazelnuts are light brown and fragrant. Move the nuts to a clean kitchen towel. Cover the nuts with one half of the towel and rub to remove most of the outer skins. Coarsely chop the nuts and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the fettuccine according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the arugula and olive oil to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until a green paste has formed but small flecks of the arugula are still visible. Add the cheeses, salt, and pepper and pulse several more times.
- When the pasta has finished cooking, remove from the water and immediately toss with the pesto. Move to a serving bowl and top with the chopped hazelnuts.