Asian Broccoli with Steak
Options abound. If youʼd prefer the broccoli minus the flank steak, just skip it! This dish is great served with rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ lb. flank steak
- 1½ lbs. broccoli
- 2 tsp. sherry
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- Place steak in freezer for a few minutes before preparing this recipe to make slicing it easier. Cut almost-frozen meat across grain into thin slices. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine sherry, pepper, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and ½ cup water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy skillet or wok. Add broccoli. Cover skillet and shake. Cook for 2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Place broccoli on hot platter.
- Place remaining 2 tablespoons oil in hot skillet. Add sliced meat. Brown quickly on both sides. Pour in soy sauce mixture. Cover and cook 2 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in remaining ¼ cup water, making sure mixture is smooth. Gradually add to skillet mixture, stirring constantly. Mixture will begin to thicken.
- Add broccoli back to skillet, stirring to combine all ingredients well. Make sure it is heated through. Serve immediately.