Asparagus and Butterkase Cheese Pizza
Butterkase cheese is a mild, semisoft cheese that comes in both smoked and regular versions. To vary this pizza, use a combination of smoked and plain Butterkase slices.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 Tbsp. sauce flour
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 2 lbs. pizza dough
- 1 lb. thinly sliced Butterkase cheese
- 1 lb. blanched asparagus spears, trimmed
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add sauce flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add wine and lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Whisk in lemon zest and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to low. Slowly whisk cream into the mixture and cook just until hot but not simmering. Add Parmesan cheese to the sauce and remove from heat. Stir occasionally until cheese melts. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Brush 2 pizza pans with olive oil.
- Roll or press pizza dough into two 12" circles, slightly thicker at the edges than in the center. Place dough in prepared pans.
- Spread ½ cup lemon cream sauce evenly over each pizza.
- Layer half the cheese slices, overlapping, over the sauce on each pizza. Arrange asparagus spears in a spoke pattern on top of each pizza. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Place first pizza in the center of the oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Remove pizza from oven carefully. Set aside to rest briefly before slicing. Repeat process with second pie.