Asparagus and Egg White Frittata
This frittata is a very healthy option, especially for those who are trying to lower cholesterol intake.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus
- 1 large tomato
- 1 package (8 oz.) mushrooms
- 18 egg whites
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a large baking pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Clean the asparagus and break off the tough ends. Dice the tomato. Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp cloth and thinly slice.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Add the onions, stir, and cover. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Meanwhile, blanch the asparagus in boiling water for about 3 minutes until just tender. Shock in ice water and drain.
- Place onions, asparagus, tomatoes, and mushrooms in the prepared baking pan. Pour the egg whites over the top to cover all the ingredients. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes uncovered until the egg is thoroughly cooked.