Asparagus Pesto Puff Pastry Wraps with Balsamic Reduction
Nestled in a fluffy blanket of pastry and topped with a sweet drizzle of balsamic vinegar, these rustic little bundles of asparagus make lovely spring appetizers or sides.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1⁄4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb. asparagus, trimmed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. water
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife or a pastry cutter, cut puff pastry along the folds. Cut each piece into 3 triangles, and brush each with pesto. Top with a sprinkling of Parmesan. Divide asparagus among triangles. Roll pastry around asparagus with seam side up.
- Whisk egg and water together in a small bowl. Brush each bundle with the egg wash. Place the bundles on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar, honey, and salt in a small saucepan, and bring to a light boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon balsamic reduction over asparagus bundles and serve immediately.