Asparagus and Pistachio Soup
When reheating this soup, make sure it never comes to a boil, because the cream will turn brown.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups fresh asparagus tips (1 inch long)
- 1⁄2 cup natural pistachio meats
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cooking sherry
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Remove the skin from the onion and chop into 1⁄4-inch pieces.
- Cook the asparagus tips in water on medium heat until slightly tender.
- Cover the pistachio meats with boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove the skins and let the meats dry. Sauté the pistachio meats in the butter on medium heat until golden. Set the pistachio meats aside and add the onion to the butter; sauté until limp.
- Combine 1 cup of the stock, the pistachio meats, onion, salt, black pepper, and cooking sherry in a blender and mix until it’s a smooth paste. Place the mixture in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add the remaining stock and stir until well mixed. Add the asparagus tips and cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Stir in the cream right before serving.