Tender asparagus tips, creamy cheese, and flaky pastry make these elegant hors d’oeuvres irresistible. You could also use Jarlsberg cheese for this recipe, and frozen asparagus may be substituted for fresh. Puffs may be assembled ahead and frozen before baking.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 package (16 oz.) phyllo dough, thawed and cut into 6-inch strips
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter, cooled
- 4 oz. Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 lb. asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- While working with phyllo dough, keep under a lightly damp kitchen towel until ready to use. Taking one strip of cut dough, brush with butter and then sprinkle sparingly with cheese. Place one asparagus spear on the dough and roll up like a cigar. Continue until all asparagus has been used.
- Make egg wash by mixing beaten egg with 2 tablespoons water. Place pastries on prepared sheet in rows so they are not touching. Brush egg wash on each pastry and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly golden. Serve warm.