Asparagus Tuna Niçoise Salad
A classic French salad is freshened up just in time for spring!
Serves: 4Prep: 25 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil plus 1 Tbsp., divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper plus ½ tsp., divided
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in half
- 12 ounces petite potatoes
- 1 head butter lettuce, torn
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup niçoise or Kalamata olives
- 1 pound wild caught tuna steak
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- In a mason jar, combine vinaigrette ingredients. Screw on lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- Bring a 3-quart pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook 1-2 minutes, until tender crisp. Remove and place in an ice bath to stop cooking. Add potatoes to water. Cook 15-18 minutes until tender. Cool in ice bath. When vegetables are cool remove and pat dry.
- When ready to eat divide lettuce, asparagus, potatoes, eggs, tomatoes and olives between serving plates.
- Season tuna steak with salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium high heat and add tuna. Sear 2-3 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. Slice tuna and add to salads. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Tip: The vegetables can be prepared up to 1 day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. The vinaigrette can be prepared up to 5 days ahead and stored refrigerated. Simply whisk to combine before using! Sear the tuna just before serving.