Authentic Queso Fresco Enchiladas
Try this family favorite from Cacique - a traditional dish prepared with bold and authentic ingredients.
Serves: 6Prep: 25 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packages (10 oz.) of Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable or canola oil
- Lettuce, shredded
- Enchilada Sauce
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 medium onion, rough chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 chipotle peppers with 1 Tablespoon accompanying adobo sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- Chipotle Crema
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon teaspoon salt
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a medium sauce pan, bring to a boil and allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet until it shimmers. Dip tortillas, one at a time, into the oil to soften and lightly fry, about 45 seconds to a minute. Then dip the softened tortilla into the enchilada sauce and remove to a plate.
- Add crumbled Queso Fresco to the middle of the tortilla and top with a few slices of pepper (optional). Roll tortilla around the filling to make the enchilada. To serve, top enchiladas with lettuce, queso fresco crumbles, and drizzle with chipotle crema. Garnish with a sliced avocado.
- To make from scratch: In a bowl, combine the Crema Mexicana, chipotle chile, and salt. With an immersion blender (or regular blender), mix until smooth, approximately 20 seconds. Refrigerate until ready to use and place in a squeeze bottle. Yields: approximately 1 cup.