Avocado and Shiitake Pot Stickers
In dumpling houses across East Asia, dumplings are served with a little bowl of freshly grated ginger, and diners create a simple dipping sauce from the various condiments on the table. To try it, pour some rice vinegar and a touch of soy sauce over a bit of ginger and add hot chili oil to taste.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, diced
- ½ block silken tofu, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 12 vegan dumpling wrappers
- In a small bowl, gently mash together all ingredients, except wrappers, just until mixed and crumbly.
- Place about 1½ teaspoons of the filling in the middle of each wrapper. Fold in half and pinch closed, forming little pleats. You may want to dip your fingertips in water to help the dumplings stay sealed if needed.
- Carefully place a layer of dumplings in a steamer, being sure the dumplings don’t touch. Place steamer above boiling water and allow to cook, covered, for 3–4 minutes.