Add onions, hot peppers, pimiento, minced garlic or even peas and carrots to the dough to create interesting alternatives.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup masa harina or cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Combine the masa harina with the warm water and mashed potatoes; mix well.
- Beat the egg and add it to the potato mixture, along with the cheese and salt. Mix well and form into patties about 3⁄4 inch thick.
- Heat the vegetable oil to medium temperature in a large frying pan. Fry the patties until golden brown on both sides.