Baba Ghanouj Sandwich Spread
Serves: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cloves garlic, divided
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Peel garlic. Chop one clove and quarter two cloves.
- Peel the eggplant and cut into 1" cubes. Toss with sesame oil, chopped garlic, and salt. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, and roast until soft and lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the eggplant, olive oil, lemon juice, remaining garlic, cumin, tahini, and pepper. (It may be necessary to do more than one batch; if so, divide ingredients evenly, then combine all batches well.) Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- After refrigeration, the spread can be brought to room temperature for serving. Stir if any separation has occurred.