Bacon Potato Skins
This gorgeous and filling appetizer could be served as an accompaniment to a green or pasta salad as the whole meal!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large russet potatoes, baked
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Colby cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallions
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp, and freeze it for later use, or use it in other recipes. Make sure to leave about 1⁄4-inch of the pulp on the skin. Sprinkle the potato halves with garlic.
- Place the potatoes, skin side down, on cookie sheet. In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove, drain, and crumble. Pour off drippings, but don’t wipe out skillet. Add onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place onion in medium bowl and let cool for 15 minutes, then stir in paprika, pepper, and cheeses.
- Bake the potatoes for 5 minutes, then remove from oven. Top with cheese mixture and return to oven; bake for 5 minutes longer or until cheeses melt and start to brown.
- Top potato skins with sour cream and scallions. Serve immediately.