Bacon-Wrapped Oven-Roasted Whole Onions
Stuffed with a flavorful mix of sautéed onion and wrapped in crispy, savory bacon, these roasted onions are a treat from beginning to end.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 1 hour 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Private Selection™ Onions, peel removed
- 2 tablespoons Private Selection™ Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves of lower ½-inch of sprig trimmed and chopped for sauté mixture (reserve tops for garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup diced pancetta
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup Private Selection™ Parmesan Cheese
- Black pepper
- 4 slices Private Selection™ Center Cut Bacon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In stockpot, boil onions in water 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Using a sharp knife, remove top inch of each onion and reserve. Trim opposite end so onion sits flat; arrange whole onions in baking dish.
- From center of each onion, carve out 1 tablespoon of onion, being careful to keep exterior intact. Combine removed onion parts; chop.
- In skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Sauté garlic, chopped onions, rosemary and pancetta 2 minutes. Lower heat; add cream and parmesan. Continue cooking until liquid is reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap each onion with 1 slice bacon. Fill each onion cavity with sauté mixture and 1 sprig rosemary. Cover with foil; bake 25 minutes, until tender. Remove foil, continue baking an 6. additional 20 minutes. Turn heat to 450°F; bake additional 5 minutes to crisp bacon.