“Baked” Acorn Squash with Lemony Quinoa
Slow cooking acorn squash helps to bring out its natural sweetness. This makes an incredibly delicious side dish, with the benefit of making the whole house smell like autumn.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 7 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Place squash in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, cut-side up. Drizzle olive oil over squash halves and season with salt and pepper. Pour stock into slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5½ more hours.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa with lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of parsley. Stir well.
- Divide quinoa stuffing between squash halves. Cover and cook on high for an additional 30 minutes. Top with remaining parsley and serve immediately.