Baked Barley Porridge with Blueberries and Walnuts
If you want to reduce the cooking time slightly, toast the barley the night before and soak overnight in the water and milk. The next morning, continue with the recipe as directed.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- Spray an 8-by-8-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a small saucepan, then add the barley and stir frequently until it begins to toast and smell nutty. Immediately add the water and milk; bring to a boil, then turn off the heat.
- Add the walnuts, brown sugar, and salt and pour mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered, on the middle oven rack for 35 minutes. Stir once, and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until the barley is plumped and tender. Serve with blueberries.