Baked BBQ Chicken
Satisfy your stomach and your imagination by making your own barbecue sauce. Use this recipe as a guide, but feel free to switch out ingredients according to your personal preferences.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 3 lbs. chicken, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir lemon juice and hot pepper sauce into sauce and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a large roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Season chicken with pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and arrange in roasting baking pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken and bake for 30 minutes longer or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Serve chicken with sauce.