These slow-cooked beans are a delicious side dish or light evening meal with whole-grain toast. This is a staple supper in England, and is easy fast food.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups cooked white beans
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 4 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Layer the beans with the onions and bacon in a casserole dish.
- Combine the dry mustard, brown sugar, maple syrup, ketchup, salt, pepper, and water, and pour the mixture over the beans.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more.