Save to My Recipes
Use a mixture of red and green bell pepper. You can add a little yellow if you have it.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly butter a 9" × 13" baking dish.
- Cut cabbage into 8 wedges; place in a large stockpot or Dutch oven with 1 cup lightly salted water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; cook for 10 minutes. Drain well and place wedges in the prepared baking dish.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, and celery; sauté for about 4–5 minutes or until tender. Add flour; stir to blend. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds. Gradually stir in milk. Cook sauce mixture over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in salt and pepper. Pour over cabbage in the baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and cheese; spoon over cabbage wedges and bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes more.