Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
Baking takes much of the fat from this dish. The secret is generous use of cooking spray.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 oz.), pounded thin
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 slices smoked ham
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cooked green vegetables
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Place a slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese on each chicken breast, and roll up the breast so the cheese and ham are inside. Place the chicken in the freezer for 2 hours to allow them to freeze partially. (This makes it easier to bread the chicken.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Dredge the chicken rolls in the flour. Shake off excess flour. Dip in the egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Spray a baking sheet with the cooking spray, and place the chicken on the sheet. Spray the tops and the sides of the breaded chicken very heavily with cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is 165°F. Top with Italian seasoning and remaining slices of cheese and return to oven for 1 minute to melt. Serve hot with mashed potatoes and vegetables.