Baked Cod with Herbed Breadcrumbs
This recipe was created by America’s Test Kitchen Kids. This flaky, oven-baked fish is topped with herby, buttery, crunchy bread crumbs! Safety Considerations: This recipe uses a knife, the oven, and the stovetop.
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- Vegetable oil spray
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus lemon wedges
- 4 (6ounce) skinless cod fillets, 1 to 1½ inches thick
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set cooling rack inside baking sheet. Spray rack with vegetable oil spray.
- In 12inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add panko, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring often with rubber spatula, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Transfer panko mixture to medium bowl. Stir in parsley and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, egg yolk, and lemon zest.
- Use paper towels to pat fish dry. Use back of small spoon to spread mayonnaise mixture evenly over top of each fillet.
- Working with 1 fillet at a time, dip mayonnaise-coated side of fish into panko mixture. Press crumbs so they stick to fish. Just coat the top side—any crumbs on the bottom of the fish will get soggy in the oven. Place fillets, crumb side up, on greased rack in baking sheet. Wash your hands.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake until fish registers 145 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 30 to 40 minutes. Insert the tip of the thermometer into the center of the thickest part of the fish. And ask an adult for help; the food—and the baking sheet—are likely very hot.
- Use oven mitts to remove baking sheet from oven (ask an adult for help). Place baking sheet on second cooling rack. Serve fish with lemon wedges.