Baked Fish Chowder
To cut back on calories, substitute reduced-fat margarine for the unsalted butter.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. celery seed
- 6 cups low-fat milk
- 2 lbs. cod fillets
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a large casserole or baking dish with 1 teaspoon butter. Arrange the onions in the dish, then add half of the potatoes. Dot with butter and season with salt, pepper, and celery seed.
- Arrange the fish on top of the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining potatoes. Dot with butter and season with salt and pepper. Pour the milk over the fish and vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until the fish flakes easily and the potatoes are tender. Garnish with the parsley and serve.