Baked Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese
Make this creamy, gluten-free version of macaroni and cheese using gluten-free pasta. Toss with a homemade cheese sauce and scoop it into individual baking dishes or into 1 medium baking dish. Top with buttered, gluten-free breadcrumbs and bake until golden.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (12 oz.) gluten-free elbow macaroni, boiled and drained
- 6 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1½ tsp. salt, divided
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2½ cups milk
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2½ cups grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 6 individual gratin dishes with non-stick cooking spray. Place cooked pasta in a large bowl.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in breadcrumbs, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the milk and brown rice flour and cook, whisking until mixture thickens, about 2–5 minutes. Whisk in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, and cayenne. Slowly add the cheeses, stirring until melted thoroughly into a creamy sauce, about 3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over the cooked macaroni and stir well. Tip into 6 individual gratin dishes. Sprinkle the tops with the buttered breadcrumbs.
- Place dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling around the edges of the gratin dishes and the breadcrumbs are a deep, golden brown.