Baked Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese
Make this creamy, gluten-free version of macaroni and cheese using gluten-free pasta. Toss with a homemade cheese sauce and scoop it into individual baking dishes or into 1 medium baking dish. Top with buttered, gluten-free breadcrumbs and bake until golden.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (12 oz.) gluten-free elbow macaroni, boiled and drained
- 6 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 6 individual gratin dishes with non-stick cooking spray. Place cooked pasta in a large bowl.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in breadcrumbs, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the milk and brown rice flour and cook, whisking until mixture thickens, about 2 to 5 minutes. Whisk in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, and cayenne. Slowly add the cheeses, stirring until melted thoroughly into a creamy sauce, about 3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over the cooked macaroni and stir well. Tip into 6 individual gratin dishes. Sprinkle the tops with the buttered breadcrumbs.
- Place dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling around the edges of the gratin dishes and the breadcrumbs are a deep, golden brown.