Baked Mini Meringues with Manjarblanco
White, light, and ethereal, but at the same time crunchy and fudgy, these Peruvian "merenguitos" are a real delight. Use leftover egg whites to make a batch whenever you have the time.
Makes: 50Hands-on: 1 hour 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. In the bowl of a mixer, beat the egg whites at high speed. Gradually add the granulated sugar and continue beating until very stiff.
- Turn off the mixer and with the help of a spatula, fold the powdered sugar into the meringue. Transfer the meringue into a piping bag with a piping tip and squeeze little meringues on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 2 hours or until the meringue is dry, but still white. Turn off the oven and let rest with the door ajar for several hours to cool.
- To make Manjarblanco, pour sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk into a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, lower the heat, and cook, stirring continuously until the mixture is thick and you can see the bottom of the saucepan, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- When cool, fill two meringues with a teaspoon of Manjarblanco.