Baked Oatmeal with Apples, Cranberries, and Walnuts
This is a regional dish from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The texture of the baked oatmeal is similar to that of cake or brownie. Cut into squares and drizzle with maple syrup for breakfast, or with ice cream for dessert. For creamier oatmeal, add an additional cup of milk to the batter before cooking.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a medium baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the eggs, melted butter, brown sugar, and milk. Mix thoroughly. Stir in cranberries, walnuts, and apples. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the oatmeal is golden-brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cut in squares to serve.