Baked Penne, Prosciutto, and Garlicky Greens with Tomato Sauce
The mild sweetness of the tomatoes and prosciutto mellow the flavor of the slightly bitter garlicky greens in this recipe. Serve with crusty bread and a leafy salad.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (16 oz.) penne pasta
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup diced prosciutto
- 1 cup kale, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish lightly with nonstick spray. Cook the penne according to the package directions, until just al dente; rinse, drain well, and place in the prepared casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large lidded saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and prosciutto. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and the prosciutto just heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the kale and cook, covered, until the kale wilts and becomes tender, about 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes, sugar, and salt. Cook until the flavors of the sauce come together, about 10 minutes.
- Stir 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese into the sauce and pour over the pasta. Sprinkle the top with the Mozzarella and remaining Parmesan cheese; cover tightly with foil.
- Bake the pasta until it is cooked through and bubbling, 20 minutes. Remove the foil carefully and allow the topping to brown for 5 minutes.