Baked Potato Latkes
Always press as much water as possible out of potatoes when making latkes. One way to do this is to wrap the grated potatoes in several layers of paper towels and squeeze out the water.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, grated, and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. dried lemon peel, crushed
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. freeze-dried chives
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten together
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large baking sheet with butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together all ingredients. Spoon the batter onto the baking sheet in 8 equal-sized portions, flattening them slightly. Spray the tops of the pancakes with a light coating of nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until brown on the bottom. Turn and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until evenly browned.