Baked Rice with Spinach and Cheese
This is a versatile and delicious side dish.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 large bunch fresh spinach, stems trims and rinsed well
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 tsp. garlic salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the rice to 3 cups water in a medium-sized pot. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 cup of water to boil in a large skillet. Add spinach, cover, and cook on low heat until the spinach has wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain, press out the water and roughly chop.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter; add the onion and cook, stirring often until soft and transparent, about 7 minutes. Off heat, stir in the rice, spinach, cheese, and the garlic salt; mix well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Add the rice mixture, stir well, and pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.