Baked Ricotta Cheese Casserole with Hot Peppers and Vegetables
This is a very tasty way to get your children to consume the calcium they need.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brown half the eggplant on both sides and move to a plate. Repeat with another tablespoon olive oil and the remaining eggplant. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil to the pan and sauté the onion, zucchini, carrot, and jalapeños for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix eggs with ricotta, Parmesan, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir in the zucchini mixture. Spread the ricotta mixture in the bottom of the prepared dish. Layer the eggplant on top of the cheese mixture and cover with marinara sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella over the sauce and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.