Baked Sausage and Cheese Grits
Baked grits make an easy breakfast dish for company and can also feature as a side dish for a brunch buffet.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 9 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 oz. breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- ½ medium onion, peeled and minced
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grits or polenta
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cups boiling water
- Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the sausage, onion, eggs, milk, polenta, ½ cup cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour into the prepared casserole dish, cover with foil, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover the grits and stir in the boiling water. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the grits from the oven and stir well. Top with remaining cheese and return to the oven for 30-40 minutes more, or until the cheese is browned and the polenta is firm around the edges.
- Cool in the pan 20 minutes before serving. The grits will thicken as they cool, so if you want to slice the grits, rather than scoop them, let them cool longer.