Baked Shrimp-Stuffed Artichokes
These are worth a bit of effort. You can make them in advance, then bake them just before serving.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 4 medium artichokes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 8 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper, or to taste
- 4 quarts plus 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove any tough or brown outside leaves from artichokes. Use a sharp knife to cut off artichoke tops, about 1⁄2 inch down. Slam artichokes against a countertop to loosen leaves. Cut in half, from top to stem, and set aside. Remove the tough thistle-like center of each artichoke and discard. Set artichokes aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring. Add breadcrumbs, lemon zest, shrimp, parsley, and pepper. Cook until shrimp turns pink. Remove from heat and pulse briefly in a food processor or blender.
- Boil artichokes in 4 quarts water with lemon juice and coriander for 18 minutes. Reserve cooking liquid.
- Place artichokes in a medium baking dish with 1⁄2 cup water on the bottom. Top with shrimp filling. Drizzle with a bit of the reserved cooking liquid and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 minutes.