Baked Spaghetti Squash Boats
This recipe is so delicious, and the individual “boats” make a beautiful presentation on the dinner table.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 medium spaghetti squashes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ⅓ lb. ground sausage
- 8 oz. diced tomatoes
- 6 oz. pizza sauce
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ¾ cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
- Cut the squashes in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash, cut-side down, into a glass baking dish. Fill with water (to cover the squash up to an inch).
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for about 35 minutes or until soft.
- When cool enough to handle, use a fork to loosen the “spaghetti” noodles.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, mushrooms, peppers, and sausage, and cook until sausage is browned, about 6–8 minutes. Mix in the diced tomatoes, pizza sauce, and Italian seasoning.
- Fill the spaghetti squash halves with the filling (about ½ cup each). Top the filling with fresh mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.