Baked Spaghetti Squash Boats
This recipe is so delicious, and the individual “boats” make a beautiful presentation on the dinner table.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 medium spaghetti squashes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄3 lb. ground sausage
- 8 oz. diced tomatoes
- 6 oz. pizza sauce
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 3⁄4 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
- Cut the squashes in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash, cut-side down, into a glass baking dish. Fill with water (to cover the squash up to an inch).
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for about 35 minutes or until soft.
- When cool enough to handle, use a fork to loosen the “spaghetti” noodles.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, mushrooms, peppers, and sausage, and cook until sausage is browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Mix in the diced tomatoes, pizza sauce, and Italian seasoning.
- Fill the spaghetti squash halves with the filling (about 1⁄2 cup each). Top the filling with fresh mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.