Baked Stuffed Kibbeh
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup finely ground bulgur wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 lb. lean ground lamb
- 1 cup grated onion, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- Put bulgur wheat in small bowl. Cover with boiling water and allow wheat to absorb liquid, approximately 15–20 minutes.
- Line colander with a small piece of cheesecloth. Drop bulgur wheat into cloth; drain and squeeze as much liquid out of wheat as possible.
- On large cutting board, combine lamb, ½ cup grated onions, wheat, salt, and pepper; mix with hands, kneading together all Ingredients.
- In a small pan, melt 1½ tablespoons of butter; sauté remaining onions, walnuts, cinnamon, and allspice until onions are soft.
- Fill a small bowl with ice water. To form into kibbeh balls, first dip your hands in the ice water to prevent sticking, then take a small handful of the lamb mixture and form into a ball in your hand. Use your finger to poke a hole in the middle and fill with a small spoonful of the onion mixture. Pinch the ball closed with your hand. Repeat the process with the remaining wheat and onion mixtures. Place the balls on a lined baking sheet.
- Melt remaining 1½ tablespoons of butter; and brush over the kibbeh. Bake at 350°F for approximately 40–45 minutes, or until dark golden brown.