Baked Stuffed Tomatoes with Herbs and Cashews
This is a delicious twist on baked, stuffed tomatoes. It’s easy and a very surprising combination of textures and flavors.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 ripe, medium-sized tomatoes
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped cashews
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray. Cut the tops off the tomatoes and remove seeds and pulp with a melon ball maker or grapefruit spoon.
- Cut the tops off tomatoes and remove seeds and pulp with a melon ball maker or grapefruit spoon. Arrange tomatoes on the prepared baking sheet. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium flame.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion, cashews, and breadcrumbs. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in salt, pepper, thyme, and lemon juice, and spoon mixture into tomato shells.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Cool slightly and serve.