Baked Turkey Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
A great dish to serve as part of a buffet at parties.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- ¼ cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz. ground raw turkey
- 1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes, undrained
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a shallow baking pan with nonstick coating.
- Combine the butter, egg white, breadcrumbs, yogurt, basil, and the pepper in a medium-size bowl. Add the ground turkey, and mix well. Shape into 1 1/2-inch meatballs (should yield about 20 meatballs). Place in the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until no pink remains.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, combine the tomatoes and their liquid, the tomato paste, sugar, and salt in a blender or food processor. Cover, and blend just until mixed and tomatoes are slightly chunky. Transfer the mixture to a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or to desired consistency. Toss the meatballs with the sauce, and serve.