Baked Ziti with Mushrooms and Herbs
This recipe is a quick, lowfat version of baked ziti. Removing most of the cheese cuts back on the fat content, but a homemade mushroom sauce preserves all the flavor.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 oz. ziti pasta
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh basil
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. minced fresh oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Partially cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Toss breadcrumbs with Parmesan and parsley. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, basil, thyme, oregano, and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce and toss. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top and move to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top is starting to brown. Serve hot.