Baked Ziti with Mushrooms and Mozzarella
Use a selection of mushrooms such as shiitake, button, cremini, or portobello for the deepest mushroom flavor.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (16 oz.) ziti pasta
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. mixed, sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9" × 13" casserole dish lightly with nonstick spray. Cook the ziti according to the package directions, until just al dente; rinse, drain well, and place in the prepared casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the mushrooms and cook without moving until they begin to brown on one side, about 7 minutes. Stir and continue to cook until they lose most of their liquid, another 3–4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, sugar, and salt. Cook until the flavors of the sauce come together, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir in ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle the top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the pasta until it bubbles and the cheese melts, 20 minutes.