Baked Ziti with Sausage
Baked ziti is a classic Italian dish that is similar to lasagna but quicker and easier to make.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. hot Italian pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cans (14 oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup skim milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 package (16 oz.) ziti
- ¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage with onion and garlic, stirring to break up meat. When sausage is cooked, drain well. Add wine, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and tomato paste, stirring to blend; cook for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine flour, milk, salt, and pepper; stir well. Add to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cook pasta as directed on package until not quite al dente. Drain and add to skillet, stirring to coat. Pour into prepared baking dish and top with cheeses.
- Bake until casserole is bubbly and cheese begins to brown, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately.